The owners of the Succession Institute (SI), in their work with CPA firms, internationally CPAs and CAs, and CPA Associations and companies of all sizes, have been teaching leadership and coaching individuals to become better managers and leaders for the past two decades. During this time, they have developed materials and delivered everything from keynote speeches and one-day workshops, to week-long training workshops on this subject matter. The late Dr. Paul Hersey’s teachings and research conclusions from his best-selling book Situational Leadership® have always been a foundation for their understanding of how to develop leaders and leadership skills.
Because of this appreciation, the Succession Institute requested and was granted special Affiliate privileges by the The Center for Leadership Studies, Inc. so they could incorporate Dr. Hersey’s materials into their programs. The Situational Leadership® materials are now part of our standard curriculum. Situational Leadership® is a proven and powerful skills-based program that teaches CPA firm owners, managers and supervisors how to vary their leadership style to match the behavioral needs of the individual or group they’re attempting to influence, leading to improved employee performance.
Developed for The Center for Leadership Studies, Inc.
by Dr. Paul Hersey
Situational Leadership® is a two-day seminar that helps managers and/or supervisors understand how people are influenced and how the principles of the program can be used to develop strategies for increasing your organization’s productivity and improving the quality of your manager’s effectiveness.
Situational Leadership™ is a workshop designed to give the participants the tools to instantly become a more effective leader and manager. No matter what your natural tendencies are in this area, they are not good enough. Being an effective manager and leader is not only about learning how to leverage those natural tendencies, but learning when you need to take on those roles you are less comfortable with. Simply put, it is about learning how to match your response as a leader to your followers’ readiness regarding a particular task, function or objective.
We will discuss how to apply Situational Leadership® by identifying tasks, assessing performance readiness, matching your behavior / communicating your response to their needs, and managing movement of people through various levels of performance readiness. You will benefit by sharpening the skills you need to develop to become a better leader and manager, learning when you should provide detailed vs. 30,000 foot-level guidance, identifying what you do to delegate better and learning how to help others grow and develop. We will cover how to identify improvement opportunities and generate action plans with follow-up tasks and deadlines to sustain progress in your leadership and management skills.
- Improve your effectiveness in leadership behaviors—how to influence others—
- At work—clients & staff
- On boards
- At home and socially
- Learn how to determine your follower’s level of readiness so that you can enhance your ability to supervise, delegate and develop others
- Understand when to change leadership styles, as well as how to differentiate your communications and actions in order to best support the outcomes you are looking for your followers’ to achieve
This program is for:
- Leaders – all levels
- Followers – who wish to understand dynamics of leadership
- Organizations with the following problems:
- large number of inexperienced managers
- leaders who over manage
- leaders who are promoted for technical expertise
- leaders whose followers need development
- leaders who need strategy for performance problems
- lack of two-way communication between leaders and followers
Available Course Content
Our development and training offerings are experientially based and challenge the participants to evolve, create a personal roadmap to change, and increase their skill levels. Each course may be customized to create and deliver the kind of leadership and professional skills training that your firm or association needs.
We use a multitude of media, techniques and tools, such as:
- Pre-work – multiple assessment instruments for style and skills feedback
- Lecture with application of real life situations
- Group facilitated discussions
- Written exercises
- Video presentations
- Behavior modeling examples
- Case studies
- Role play scenarios
- A simulator board game
- The development of action plans
- Coaching throughout the course period
- Post-workshop assessment to ascertain progress
Typical program content might include, depending your needs:
- Assessments, with debriefings on the results
- Situational Leadership&trade
- Managerial leadership
- Teamwork and team building
- Business development, including Most Trusted Business Advisor role
- Practice management, including structure, governance and profitability issues
- Motivation and accountability
- Conflict management and negotiations
- Change management
- Other customized content as required
- Capstone projects to utilize skills learned in the program back at the firm
CPE Credit: Earn up to 20 CPE Credits (various program options available from 8 to 20 CPE credits)
Succession Institute, LLC is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.
For more information about earning CPE credits, please click here.